Wednesday 14 December 2016

“11 is one louder”: Crawl guitarist Eric Crowe picks his top 5 sludge albums



Atlanta, Georgia's Crawl play glorious molten Southern swamp metal and while it doesn't break new ground (it's not fucking supposed to!), it's sure to drive people to break open a beer and smile gleamingly and nod in approval.  Music at times doesn't need to be complex or challenging to be brilliant, Crawl produce barbecue music for bloodshot eyed slackers, music to blare out the speakers of your pickup truck on your way to buy more beer.

The world needs music like there’s, so we’re stoked that Eric Crowe, guitarist/vocalist with Crawl  agreed to share his thoughts on his Top 5 sludge album, in this weeks edition of “11 is one Louder”, where bands choose their favourite albums from the genre of music their know for.

Check out Eric’s selection below.

Neurosis - “Through Silver in Blood” (1996)


Above and beyond any release, there is and will always be this. At first, I could not get into this album at all. I was totally missing the point and fullness it had. One day a dear friend of mine suggested that I listen to it when I am in a funk, but I have to listen from beginning to end without stop. So I did, and everything clicked and became a necessity and like a drug. I didn’t see them till like 2000 for the “Times of Grace” tours, but they had me hooked to my very core and experienced that “religious experience” a lot of people talk about when seeing them. The darkness and the primal, the sheer power and cold distance of this album completely changed the way I thought about music, changed the way I created music, especially for Crawl. I couldn’t look or listen to music in the same way I did before. A new level was reached; I neither would nor could ever go back again. Still a heavy influence musically, band aesthetics and vision.


Grief - “Come to Grief” (1994)

“Come to Grief” was another album that was hard to listen to at first, mainly cause my focus of music at the time was Grindcore and Harsh Noise. When I first listened to it, I was literally cracking up because it was so ridiculously slow. But once the giggling stopped, this album became one that carried me through some dark times. The riffs, the power of absolute sludge compelled me. From beginning to end, this is still one of my all time favorite albums from Grief. I love almost all of their discography, but this one will always reign supreme and still has a huge impact on my life and writing.


Buzzov*en - “Sore” (1994)



When it comes to all time favorites within the genre for Crawl, “Sore” has absolutely played a heavy role in the music and mentality. The complete abrasiveness, attitude, drive and filth that this album covers, it changes people. The samples and discomfort only added to the appeal. It’s Kirks guitar and off sounding solo work (that actually really work and add to the albums dissonance) that still influences me on our more “Southern Sludge” songs.



Melvins - “The Maggot” (1999)

With so many of their albums being a great influence, it’s really hard to pick one, but “The Maggot” is definitely one that I fall back on. “Bullhead”, “Lysol” and “Houdini” are all a close second. It’s the heaviness and trancelike state of “See How Pretty, See How Smart” that make me want to be motivated and quit, all at the same time. With a long history and a prolific nature, are added reasons why they mean and continue to influence me.

Leechmilk - “Discography” (2000 – 2001)

Though defunct for many years and having a recent re-release of “Starvation of Locust” on Divine Mother Recordings, Leechmilk has continued to be both, a constant go-to and influence. I cannot deny the power and aggression in any of their albums. I had the honor to play with these guys many, many times in the late 90s and haven’t stopped listening since. They brought a much needed element to the Atlanta scene in those days and have even continued to gain ground even on international bases. Angry, sludgy riffs with heavy crusty punk attitude; volatile vocals that still resonate through the offerings of Sons of Tonatiuh. I’ll always be a fan-boy for this band, and Dan knows it and laughs at me, but whatever.

You can stream and buy Crawl’s music here

Band info:  bandcamp || facebook