Sunday 19 January 2020

ALBUM REVIEW: Domo, "Domonautas Vol. 1"

By: Peter Morsellino

Album Type: Full Length
Date Released: 15/12/2019
Label: Independent



“Domonautas Vo1.1” DD//LP track listing:

1). Oximoron
2). Astródomo
3). Ritual del Sol
4). Planisferio

The Review:

Alright folks, let's get weird. I listen to a lot of music. As such I tend to have to work harder at times to find something that really lights my fire. I found myself at one point not listening to a whole lot of music at all, finding myself dulled to the whole thing from not finding what I was looking for. This particular low point lead me to my discovery of doom and sludge, some of the great musical loves of my life. And yet, every now and again, I still feel the need for a little extra bit of a freaky booster shot to keep my spirits up. If you are currently in need of a little something on the fringes to help bring you back to center, I present you with Domo.

I've always said that I wanted a metal band that could conceivably cover “Ummagumma” era Pink Floyd and neither sound cheesy, nor like a bunch of lunatics set loose upon an unsuspecting recording studio. Domo has granted me this wish.
Riffs crunch hard into the earth when not floating into space, with experimental interludes occurring frequently. Notes of early 70's experimental rock flow throughout the album. My mind keeps returning to the thought of a Black Sabbath/Tool mashup that I didn't know I wanted.

“Oximoron” starts the album off as something off an overture, letting you know what you've given yourself into. With dense atmospheres, psychedelic guitar work and exotic horns creating an incredibly dense tone that prevails throughout the album.

“Astrodomo” starts out strong with doomy riffs reminiscent of an early Electric Wizard track, before dropping into a distinctly Pink Floyd like piece and right back again. “Ritual Del Sol” kicks off with an amazingly mellow jazz jam that puts the bass on center stage before giving us some more of that hard rock power, right when we need it. “Planisferio” opens with another bass heavy Tool type of jam before descending into pure metal mayhem.

This album is expertly put together. No part feels like it clashes with another, with Domo skillfully gliding from one genre to the next.

“Domonautas Vol. 1” was released in late 2019 and was promised to be the beginning of something much larger. I for one will be keeping my ears open for the next installment. I'm hooked.

“Domonautas Vo1. 1” is available HERE


Band info: bandcamp || facebook