Saturday 30 November 2013

Another Interview with SLOWJOINT!!!!

 
Today's guests on Sludgelord have been on the blog no less than 3 times before. Mainly with 2 reviews and a previous interview that you can read here.

But now they are back for an entirely new interview. A reward for me reviewing their excellent début album that will be released next year. I may have to review the album again as I was giving a promo copy to review. It had no album cover or no album title.


But SLOWJOINT still impressed me with their amazing almost finished album. As I said the following about their upcoming new album:

"Slowjoint have delivered an excellent debut album that should win them a few fans within the Sludge/Stoner Metal scene in 2014. The album is the cure to those post-winter blues and Slowjoint are the Doctors of Sludge advising you to take your medicine. It is an order you cannot ignore…" 

So let see what these crazy weed induced Sludge Rockers have to say to me when I interview them again..

You can read the first interview here.

Q1 – Hi Guys. How's things with you today. Thanks for doing this.

You're very velcome. We're doing alright. It's sunday, the sun is shining and I just got home from a few beers in the woods.

Q2 – So what has been happening with you guys since I last interviewed you 6 months ago.

Well, we played our first festival gig this summer. It was fucking awesome! They treated us with beer and booze and the show went damn well!  And of course we've been working on the album. Mainly by scratching our ass and coming up with weird song titles.


Q3 – Congrats on your new almost finished album. As you know I loved it. I will dig it even more when it's released. Mainly with album title and album cover. HA HA. Can you tell our readers what to expect from it.

Haha, we're not the fastest dicks in the sauna, but we get things done. The album is filled with fuzz and dirty noice. If you're into that you might dig it. Don't expect any new side of the genre. This is simple weed driven sludge as we like it.

Q4 – So what is the album about. Any specific meaning or is it just a strong collection of stunning brutal riffs.

It's the words and thoughts of a not working, working man. I just scream angry stuff that pisses me off, and mix it up with some humor and a little bit of weed. Not much. Just a little.. I don't really think there is any special meaning in what we do. It's just fun doing it.

Q5 – Was it an easy or hard album to record for.

The studio was booked 4 months before we actually went there. I thought that we had plenty of time, and I already had three or four songs ready for it. All of a sudden, recording was close and I still needed to write the rest of the songs. We got the last three songs down two days before deadline. But I guess that's just how we work. We're not super experienced studio musicians, so it was like letting three monkeys lose in a box with some shitty instruments and hoping to catch the best take before we ruined it. It went pretty well though. We had some trouble here and there, mainly because we get weirdly nervous as soon as the recording button is red. But that being said, we had a good time recording it. And I think that Christian (CBStudios) did a really great job, making the songs sound natural and raw.  


Q6 – What influenced you when writing the album. Any specific band, musician, time or place help channel your creative process.

I don't know what I'm doing man. I'm not sure I'm that creative after all, haha. But i guess I'm influenced by a lot of different music, but with sludge as the main priority. 

Q7 – You have some pretty cool song titles on the album which shows your great sense of humor. Is humor a big aspect for your music. Though the music is bleak and brutal at times. 

Our humor is actually pretty bad dude. You're just wrongly miss led by our stunning looks.. I think it's important to have a bit of humor in everything you do. Life feeds you shit every now and then. It's your job to spice it up, so it don't taste that bad..

Q8 – What is the music scene currently like in Denmark. Are you getting more gigs or have you been too busy recording the new album.

We're slowly gaining some interest in the band. It's not that we can play anywhere we want, but we're doing alright. We're planning some shows around Denmark in January, and we've been given the chance to do a warm up gig for an old legendary danish metal band in April. We love playing live so hopefully there's gonna be more of it!


Q9 – The new album is coming out soon on Vinyl. How did that come about and who is releasing it. 

Yeah we cant wait to get it out there! The plan is to release it ourselves, unless someone else want's to pay for it. 

Q10 - Any different editions of the album such as different colours. Or is it being released as a normal edition.

I actually don't know yet. But I'm pretty sure that there's gonna be a special edition on green casettes. The cover is being hand painted by an old school mate, and we're pretty excited to see how it's gonna end up.

Q11 – Are you all fans of the Vinyl Format. As it's seeing a surge in popularity within the Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal Scene.

Vinyl just presents music in a better way! I've been listening to vinyl for 3 years or so, and it's a dream come true to make one ourselves. Also the cover art is much better represented in a bigger format. I think it's because music has become so easy for everyone to listen to on the internet. So when people actually buy a record they want that extra thing to it. And vinyl really sounds better, looks better and even smells better than a cd or an mp3 file.


Q12 – If there is anything you could change within the Sludge/Doom/Stoner Metal scene what would it be.

I love everything about it. So no, not really. I just hope that it stays underground, even though it's getting more popular these days.

Q13 – What are your views of the crowd funding scene currently going on with bands and artists asking fans to fund their latest release or project. My own view it's cool for upcoming bands and unsigned bands. But I saw a crowd funding project for William “FUCKING” Shatner to fund some watches he represents.


For Fucks Sake – Captain “Fucking” Kirk is now getting in on the act. Isn't he a multi millionaire. OOPS – I digress. Are you a fan of that and would Slowjoint ever go down that route.

I don't think you'll see us asking for money that way. If you need money for a record, do some shows, sell some shirts, albums or whatever. Everything has it's time. But what the hell do I know? We've been lucky to be able to do what we do. Somehow we always get by. Maybe it's because we don't expect a lot of it. As I've said before, we're doing it for the fun of it. It's the most natural way to us.


Q14 – Have you received more coverage within the Sludge/Doom/Stoner Metal community since we last featured you on the blog. Though I have a feeling that is going to change in the next 12 months for you.

Well, I hope you're right! The more people get to know our music, the bigger the chances are for us to get more shows. And that's what it's all about. You sure did your job to get the word around. Much appreciated. But we're not quite sure if you got the same album that we send you. haha. Let's hope that people don't realize how bad our music really is.


Q15 – So when your not making sweet violent riffs with Slowjoint. What is there to do in Denmark to pass the time. How do you relax. Or what would you recommend me to do if I ever visited your great country.

Well I live in the south of Denmark in the country. There's not much to do here, so I play a lot of music. Right now I'm learning to play the banjo and I already got my own little side project going, that I'm recording on my old casette player. Some kind of depressed drunken blues. It sounds terrible! Hopefully the casette player burns down, so nobody never will have to listen to it. If you ever come to Denmark you should catch us here in south Jutland and we'll have a beer and shoot some slingshots. That's actually pretty fun and totally underrated. I once shot two birds with a slingshot and some marbles. Not in one shot though. Or wait. Let's say I shot two birds with one bullet, haha


Q16 – Do you have any plans to tour overseas within the next couple of years. If so what would be your ideal destination to play a gig at.

We would like to tour outside of Denmark, whenever we figure out how to do so. Festival gigs or small bar jobs. We like it all, as long as we get to play really loud! And our very own Roskilde Festival would be a fucking blast to play at. But that's just dreaming I guess. 


Q17 – Finally, Do you have anything to say to your fans.

Seriously, stop listening to that shit.. and grow a beard!

Well Slowjoint, thanks for doing this interview. Been great catching up with you crazy dudes once again. If you want another album review with the finished article. You know where I am.

Sure thing Steve! We'll get back to you soon.

Thanks to the band for talking to me again. Always great chatting to this great band. These guys will be one of the main bands to look out for in 2014. Slowjoint are going places.

Check the Band from Links Below

Facebook