Monday 16 September 2013

EyeHateGod Auction - In Memory of Joe LaCaze


In Memory of Joe LaCaze, 1971-2013

On Aug 23rd, the metal world mourned the loss of a true legend within the underground scene. Joseph M. LaCaze, a New Orleans native and founder member / drummer for Eyehategod, has left a legacy which few can match and it was with heartfelt sadness the news filtered through that another life was cut so tragically short.

I remember seeing Philip Anselmo wearing an Eyehategod tshirt back 1994 on the I’m Broken video if I remember correctly. I was in my early teens at the time, as a result I convinced myself that I had to buy their music, such was Pantera’s influence on me at the time. Now, 20 yrs later, I can recollect with fondness that the record I bought was ‘Take As Needed For Pain’, which to this day is their best record. On first listen my virgin ears could not cope, feeling that at the time, the record was unlistenable, such was the angst of Mike Williams vocals. It is now a mainstay in my metal playlist to this day and a must have for any metal fan.

Eyehategod, always seemed to be like a brotherhood and despite the various mishaps or problems within the ranks, it only appeared to reinforce their desire to continue. I had the pleasure of seeing Eyehategod play in Manchester in 2012 and I have to say it was one of the greatest gigs I have witnessed and indeed It was pleasure to observe Joe LaCaze setting up his drums, emphasising to me, that despite having been together for nearly 25 yrs, they had just the same DIY attitude now, as they did when they first formed. Live, Eyehategod were untouchable.


Behind every great band, there is great drummer, if a band does not have that, they don’t have shit. Joe LaCaze was just that, nothing flashy, but just an awesome presence and at the centre of everything that is Eyehategod was about. LaCaze — who also drummed in Eyehategod offshoots Outlaw Order and The Mystick Krewe of Clearlight — leaves behind a formidable legacy within what is now known as the sludge metal scene. He will be missed.

The Sludgelord want to show their support to Joe’s Legacy and we have set an Eyehategod auction here on eBay. We are asking bands, labels, fans if they would like to provide merch which can then be sold to raise money for the Joe LaCaze family or a charity of their choice.

Following our initial post on our facebook page, we have had many kind offers, which is amazing, however we are asking for more. So please help!! Once we receive the merch, we will auction it off on the Sludgelord facebook page. If bands, labels, fans wish to offer something for this auction please email me at thedoomentor@gmail.com or visit the auction at eBay. Our aim is to raise as much money as possible for this brilliant cause. It is time to give something back to a man, who has provided the metal world with so much. Please email me and share this link and help us raise awareness, so we can do the very best we can in memory of the late, great Joe LaCaze. Hail The Riff!!

Thanks Aaron and The Sludgelord Team