Monday 17 October 2016

“Because 11 is one louder”: Nate Garrett (Spirit Adrift) chooses his Top 5 Doom Records



Spirit Adrift is in essence a solo project created by Nate Garrett, a song writer and multi instrumentalist who earned his spurs playing, recording and touring with as many bands as possible.  Following his own sonic path Garrett was guided by the masters in the art of heavy riffs, with bands like Black Sabbath, Neurosis and Eyehategod serving his guide in his quest to forge the perfect riff, during his most formative years.  Garrett would later share artistic and personal relationships with fellow Arkansans such as Deadbird, Rwake, Seahag and Pallbearer, with this experience from the southern heavy music scene leaving a lasting impression upon him.  In 2011, Garrett would move to Arizona, joining Take Over And Destroy and later Gatecreeper, who are currently creating quick a buzz within the underground metal scene. 

On the 21st of August 2016 Nate Garrett’s Spirit Adrift would return with the release of their debut full length “Chained To Oblivion” via Prosthetic Records. The project in itself is a platform to realise his lifetime dedication to music and is the culmination of every bit of his musical experience.  Musically and lyrically, “Chained to Oblivion” is undoubtedly heavy but uniquely uplifting at the same time.  As the label bio comments “Spirit Adrift is a necessary healing process, and an artist’s attempt at contributing his own drop to the limitless well of music, a well that has kept him alive.”

Today at The Sludgelord, it a our pleasure to have Nate Garrett shares his thoughts on some of his favourite doom records, as we turn the dial up to 11, “Because 11 is one louder”


1. Black Sabbath – “Sabotage” (1975)




Sure, “Master of Reality” probably fits the doom bill more, but “Sabotage” has been my favorite album since the first time I heard it. Though this is a more experimental, maybe even progressive effort, the doom is still strong. Songs like “Hole in the Sky”, “Megalomania”, and “The Writ” are among the heaviest songs Sabbath ever did. I feel like they pushed the boundaries of what heavy music can be with this album, and it features Ozzy's all-time greatest vocals. The lyrics are introspective, surreal, and psychedelic. The songs evolve and grow as if they are living entities. I try to write music that sounds evil and beautiful at the same time, and “Sabotage” taught me how to do this. This album has had a bigger impact on me than any other piece of music.


2. Saint Vitus – “Die Healing” (1995)




This is my favorite Saint Vitus album, largely due to the vocals. Original vocalist Scott Reagers returns with a vengeance on this album. He nails the soaring traditional doom vocals, but what makes his singing special is when his voice disintegrates into psychotic howls and moans. It's one of the most unique vocals performances ever captured, and it's anchored by a band at their heaviest and most menacing. During the “Chained to Oblivion” sessions, I recorded a cover that hasn't been released yet, and the vocals were definitely inspired the unhinged delivery of Scott Reagers on”Die Healing”.


3. Warning – “Watching From A Distance” (2006)




I was thrilled to hear that Warning will be performing this entire album at Roadburn. This album is crushing sonically, and more importantly, emotionally too. Patrick Walker's lyrics and earnest delivery are heartbreaking. One of my primary goals with Spirit Adrift is to move people on a deep emotional level, and this is the album that introduced me to the painfully raw, confessional approach that is required to make that connection with the listener.

 

4. Rwake – “Voices of Omens” (2007)

 

I'm not sure if this qualifies as doom. I'm really not sure what it is at all. Rwake is one of the most fascinating bands that has ever existed. The riffs and song structures are nothing short of genius. This band is on a level that few achieve, and their power is undefinable, indescribable. When I first moved from Oklahoma to Arkansas, I drove to Little Rock by myself to see Rwake play for the first time, right around the time “Voices of Omens” was released. My life has never been the same, and I still can't quite figure out what's going on with this band. It's terrifying.

 

5. Pallbearer – “Sorrow and Extinction” (2012)


The time I spent in Arkansas was crucial to the formation of Spirit Adrift. The creativity and passion I witnessed there will be with me forever. I was friends with the Pallbearer guys before I had any idea of what they were capable of. This album blew my mind when I first heard it, and still does to this day. It has helped me through hard times in my life, and inspires me endlessly.


Spirit Adrifts latest album “Chained to Oblivion” is available here

Band info: bandcamp || facebook