Tuesday 28 May 2013

Vimyl Corner : Limb - Gift Of The Sun (7" Review)

Image of Limb: Gift Of The Sun, Ltd Edition 7" EP

Limb is a Sludge/Doom/Stoner Metal Band from London, UK

The members are:

Rob Hoey - Vocals
Sam Cooper - Bass
Jodie Wyatt - Drums
Pat Pask - Guitar

I have something to say: every once in a while, 7 inches can be enough. Hey now, I'm talking about vinyl here so please get your mind out of the sewer. I recently picked up a new awesome 7" record I wanted to tell you about before it's gone. And it probably will be soon.
Actually, it might be appropriate for you to keep your mind in that sewer because the new LIMB e.p. out on New Heavy Sounds is awful damn filthy. Eww. Gift Of The Sun is nasty - full of oozing heaviness influenced by the likes of EyeHateGod, Goatsnake, Weedeater and more. I kinda love it dirty like that. Don't you? Put on your personal protective equipment because it's about to get all toxic up in here.

I happily stumbled across a demo from the masters of massive, LIMB. a year or more ago and was immediately struck by the hip-shaking grooves, monstrous riffage and thick vocals from the London 4-piece. I'd say it had a lot to do with the fat guitar tone and maybe even more - the swinging low bottom-end and timely tempo changes with this band. Whatever the case, they fucking throw down and don't mess around. It's all about the insanely heavy with LIMB and their new e.p. is no different. Damn...especially on vinyl. This is what the fuck I've been waiting for.

Side A: The title track (my favorite from LIMB) takes up the whole first side and runs about 4 minutes. I can hear why they chose to highlight this massive, driving slug. How can music be this heavy but still be so...groovy? It's not often that I come across stuff this good. While many might call it sludge metal, I'll just say that it's extremely heavy fucking rock with elements of different genres and has deep, emotional vocals that match the tunes. This is what it's all about people. You WILL do more than bang your head. You'll shake your ass and jump around (slowly), too, unless you're paralyzed from the neck down. Check out the YouTube video I included.


Side B: "Quiet Earth" is anything but quiet. Holy shit. Immediate and rhythmic fucking of my ear-hole. Slow but good; short and sweet. And if you're familiar with their demo (digital name your price at Bandcamp, 100 cd copies from Witchunter Records) then you'll be happy to know that the song, "Dead Voice" is also the third and last on this vinyl record. Needless to say, a standout from their 3-track demo sounds much better on vinyl. I don't know if they recorded it over again, remastered it or what, but I think the chugging thing has gotten twice as heavy if not more. I can hardly understand a word this guy is singing but you know what? I don't really care. I can feel his passion deep down in my bones and you will too.

But that's not all. You'll also get a bonus, exclusive mp3 track via download card that comes with your purchased 7" package, which includes a poster sleeve. "Into The Slave Nebula" is an extra 3 minutes to enjoy from LIMB and it's EXTRA-HEAVY, too. Goddamn this is a great band guys. I'm pretty sure you'll want this. No, I'm positive.

Gift Of The Sun is strictly limited to 250 copies on tasty orange vinyl so you better get on it quickly before it's too late. If you're like me and you live for the heavy, then you'll be glad you did. It's one helluva 7-inch record that's priced right and it's plenty for now.

Support the underground.

--Heddbuzz

http://newheavysounds.bigcartel.com/product/limb-gift-of-the-sun
https://www.facebook.com/LimbTheBand?fref=ts
http://www.limbtheband.com/
http://limbtheband.bandcamp.com/
http://limbtheband.bigcartel.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0mCC1uELXk