Tuesday 22 September 2015

Lords of Bastard - 'I'm Fun' EP (Review)

By: Chris Bull

Album Type: 10” EP
Date Released: 16/06/2015
Label: Bang Mountain Records



We get some thick, bass heavy fuzzy grooves to kick things off on 'Feel The Whoosh'. It's definitely an act of Sabbath worship but the buck certainly doesn't stop there.  A brilliant EP from this Edinburgh (Deadinburgh) based band, maybe a little too out there for me personally but I'll be sure to recommend them to friends.


‘I’m Fun’ DD//10”Vinyl track listing:

1.Feel The Whoosh (04:18)
2.Enter The Woo-Tang (06:23)
3.The Old "Reflection In The Bathroom Mirror" Trick (Y2K Remix) (04:07)
4.Fucking Hell (Twirly Mix) (03:04)

The Review:


I'll admit to not knowing about Lords of Bastard before hearing this. I'd heard the name but never actually listened to the band. I was pleasantly surprised by the 4 songs on 'I'm Fun'.

We get some thick, bass heavy fuzzy grooves to kick things off on 'Feel The Whoosh'. It's definitely an act of Sabbath worship but the buck certainly doesn't stop there. There is slight time signature changes to keep it from becoming too run of the mill. An organ solo plays out the last of the main riff before a final blast of a 70's freak out. 'Enter The Woo-Tang' is a brilliant song title and has plenty more moments of jazzy/prog rhythm shifts and guitar noodlings. The vocalist may not be the best singer on the planet but his voice carries the songs and reminds me a little of Bruce Lamont of Yakuza. '

The Old "Reflection In The Bathroom Mirror Trick" (Y2K remix)' is up next, another great title and another great song, it goes from smooth jazz intro straight to stoner groove and onward to some Witchfinder General esque NWOBHM and a short black metal flourish before settling back in to the stoner groove again. The organ twiddling away in the mix definitely has my attention. 'Fucking Hell (The Twirly Mix)' is the final song and is the most out there of all the songs. I physically cannot put this song into coherent words; you'll just have to take my word for it!

A brilliant EP from this Edinburgh (Deadinburgh) based band, maybe a little too out there for me personally but I'll be sure to recommend them to friends.


‘I’m Fun’ is available here

FFO: Melvins, The Jesus Lizard,

Band info: Facebook | Band Camp