Wednesday 1 July 2020

ALBUM REVIEW: King Buzzo with Trevor Dunn, "Gift of Sacrifice"

By: Peter Morsellino


Album Type: Full Length
Date Released: 14/08/2020
Label: Ipecac Recordings




“Gift of Sacrifice” CD//DD//LP track listing:


1). Mental Vomit
2). Housing, Luxury, Energy
3). I’m Glad I Could Help Out
4). Delayed Clarity
5). Junkie Jesus
6). Science in Modern American
7). Bird Animal
8). Mock She
9). Acoustic Junkie


The Review:

Taking a huge creative step from 2014's “This Machine Kills Artists”, Buzz Osbourne's latest work offers some high strangeness to the typically masterful songwriting of his King Buzzo solo releases.  Accompanied by Mr Bungle's bassist extraordinaire, Trevor Dunn, “Gift of Sacrifice” provides a delightfully unique listening experience. 

With Mr Dunn's acoustic bass adding a classy lilt to the King's dark moodiness, “Gift of Sacrifice” is one of the most imaginative albums that I've had the pleasure of listening to all year. From jazzed out jams to strange noise pieces, this album definitely leans more to the freaked out side of things. Wild strings fluctuate across the nine tracks adding to the mystique of the release.

I do have to admit that this one is going to be hit or miss for a lot of people. Upon first listen I just plain wasn't into it. I guess I just wasn't in the mood. But I gave it another go and I'm really glad that I did. In the right frame of mind, this can be an incredible musical journey; you just need to allow yourself to go there. A lot of tracks remind me of Tom Waits' “Mule Variations” album, with dark tones mingling with the jazz melodies to forge a satisfyingly creepy atmosphere. It’s a lot of things and none of them all at once.

My advice for this one would be to really set your mood in advance. Pour yourself a glass of wine, dim the lights and get cozy in your finest lounger. Maybe light a joint and really settle yourself in. Let the music take you for a ride. Let it slide on in to your ear holes and rejoice in the frantic chill that it exudes.  You're going to enjoy this one if you let yourself.

“Gift of Sacrifice” is available HERE





Band info: bandcamp