Friday 7 March 2014

Interview with WOUNDED GIANT


Today on Sludgelord, I am interviewing – Wounded Giant – The Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal band who impressed the hell out of me and Hakan with their incredible début album – Lighting Medicine.

An album that Hakan described as - “As dark and punishing as this release is, it is also the ultimate catharsis. If you don't believe me, get a copy - which you should anyway - sit back and let Wounded Giant recreate and heal you. Following in the footsteps of Sleep and Shrinebuilder, these guys are on to something different and amazing and they definitely should be out there. And they should be on any serious doctor's remedy list for...well, any kind of ailment. It is that fucking good!”

This album made my best records of 2013 list sitting pretty at No 12. I had to thank our good friend Steve STB of STB Records for giving me the tip about the album as I wouldn't have known about this great band.

If you like thick, heavy, down-tuned epic riffs then Wounded Giant is the band for you. I had to find out more about these guys have a serious bright future ahead of them.

So lets see what Wounded Giant have to say to ourselves at Sludgelord.


Q1 – Hi guys. Thanks for doing this. How are things with you today.

Bobby James: Most excellent! 2014 is off to an excellent start in the Wounded camp, we just finished recording a couple new songs, and they're outta control!

Dylan: I gotta agree with Bobby. So far so good. We really got this mess a rollin!

Q2 – For people not in the know, can you tell us how the band came about and where it is today.

D: It all kinda started when Alex and I were playing in our other band Occult SS, which is more of a D-Beat punk metal band, and Alex asked me if I wanted to try out for his other Psychedelic Doom Band DirtWorshipper. After a sit down with Bobby and Alex at the Streamline Tavern, a couple practices and a name change...WOUNDED GIANT was born.

Q3 – So, where did the name Wounded Giant come from?

B: Oh hell, long story....basically a strange homeless wizard type dude cornered our drummer Alex a few years back on some kind of prophecy tangent, and gave him a million band names. It's hard to explain without rambling on the nature of the fucking universe, haha.

Dylan: Yeah that’s a tale Al can only tell.


Q4 – What bands and artists influenced you as musicians.

D: For me, I'd say Sabbath, Hawkwind, the legend of Phil Lynott, Geezer Butler and Cliff Burton, Danny Elfman, UFO, and I've been listening to great deal of Danava. Those guys are on a whole 'nother level.

B: Every form of riffage, really. Black Sabbath has been my favorite band since I was twelve, but I try not to play Sabbath by numbers. Right now I'm gonna go with Electric Wizard, Thin Lizzy, PJ Harvey, the Scorpions and Killing Joke.

Q5 – Let's talk about your brilliant début album. Lighting Medicine. Wow. What an album that is. Really impressed the hell out of us at Sludgelord HQ. So was it an easy album to write and record for.

B: Writing music with your friends is always a beautiful thing. We had the honor of recording at our good friend's compound; basically a week of riffing, barbecuing, drinking tequila and shooting bb guns away from the city. Yeah, I guess you could call it easy greasy. I wouldn't want it any other way.

D: WEED. YOU FORGOT WEED.

Q6 – Are you happy with the final version that's currently out there now. Would you change anything about it?

B: I doubt any creative type ever really feels done with something that intense to them. But at the end of the day, I'm pretty darn happy with the record!

D: There’s some stuff I would change, but that’s just me being stubborn and psychotic. Everyone killed it on the album. That was a great fucking experience. Johnny's recording studio is a goddamn palace. It was a real family vibe going around with TAD and Endino rollin through, and being surrounded by friends and having a blast the whole way through, which I think was crucial to the record. I really couldn’t see us recording anywhere else

Q7 – It's a dark and creepy album with some serious down-tuned riffs. Does the album have any specific meaning behind it or do you want your fans to discover this for themselves.

B: It's really just a snapshot of the last couple years, arranged to a certain flow we liked. I'm a big fan of bands that don't go about every song sounding the same. As far as meanings go, you got a few hours for me to explain a million weird angles? It's kinda schizo. Monsters, babes and paranoia are the main themes, haha.


Q8 – Who designed the excellent album cover? As it really does match the dark tones of the album.

B: I heavily manipulated a piece from an old 50's H. P, Lovecraft collection. One of those old pulp paperbacks you used to find at the used bookstore before people like me scored them all. The artist is uncredited in the book, and is most likely hanging out with Cthulhu in the Necropolis right now. I owe him a lot of booze when I meet him. Thanks dude!

Q9 – People have compared you to legends such as Sleep. Are you happy to be associated with bands such as Sleep or do you wish people focused on your music as it's own entity.

B: They do? Haha. I love that band, and think that's a rad compliment, but they've never been a direct influence. Matt Pike as a guitarist and general human being has definitely changed how I see the Life though. I would totally rip off High on Fire in a second if I knew how to, haha.

D: Whoa! Yeah, I haven't heard that one either, hahahah. That's quite the compliment. I think SLEEP is amazing. I just hope we don't get labelled as a SLEEP rip off band or anything like that.

Q10 – What is your favorite song off the album and why?

D: Probably Lightning Medicine, 'cause I get to use my bass wah pedal, haha.

B: They're all my weird little friends, but maybe Rats in the Walls is my favorite to play live? It's a Lovecraft story about slowly going insane, and I kinda identify with that paranoia and anxiety. It's cathartic to play.


Q11 – Do you guys tour a lot in your local hometown or do you have to travel further afield to perform regularly.

B: We've played a lot here, and have done a lot of West Coast runs in just over a year together. We plan on spreading the riffs further and further every time out. We're hitting the East Coast for Maryland Death Fest in spring, very stoked. Touring is an addiction.

D: We live for tour.

Q12 – The album is receiving some excellent praise within the Doom/Stoner Metal scene. Have you been pleased with the responses so far?

B: Totally! Any time someone digs something you created is awesome. Anyone who says they don't care about that is full of shit. Our main goal live is to coax the crowd into being part of the band. Hive mind stuff.

D: We have?!?! FAR OUT!!!


Q13 – Your album has been released on Vinyl. We are massive Vinyl Heads at Sludgelord. Are you vinyl fans yourselves. What is your verdict of the resurgence of the Vinyl Record. A Lot more people are starting to buy vinyl more than ever.

B: Definitely! Unfortunately right now I'm a total slave to tiny headphones just like everyone else. It drives me crazy, the sound is so shitty. Analog is the best representation for any kind of music, really. We are lucky enough to work with a guy like Jack Endino who knows to mix for every aspect. But vinyl is king!

Q14 – You guys got a brilliant recommendation by Tad Doyle. How did you guys hook up with Tad. As we all know what a legend he is.

B: Total legend. I've been in love with his bands for years, and Seattle is small. He mixed our first demo-ey/EP thing when we first started. I should probably put that online, now that you mention it, haha. Anyways, he's one of the raddest humans ever, and grills a mean burger too. I'm still totally star struck by him. Do yourself a favor and check Brothers of the Sonic Cloth and Hog Molly. He also did some awesome vox on another record I'm on called The Basment Sessions, dig it!

Q15 – What albums are currently rocking your world? Old or new. Any recommendations you like to tell us to check out.

B: A lot of Bone Thugs and Uncle Acid. A little Waylon Jennings and Siouxsie and the Banshees, too. For heavy stuff, I've been on an old school death metal kick recently, and a ton of Priest. Also Chelsea Wolfe.

D: Any Danava album. The Pilgrim (Baltimore) album is amazing. The Shrine album Primitive Blast is sick. CATTLE DECAPITATION'S MONOLITH OF INHUMANITY IS SOOO GOOD. I'm really happy with the stuff that OCCULT SS (Alex and my other band) is workin on.

Napalm Raid is another band I've been diggin. And all the homies are killin' it too, PHILTHY HEATHENS from LA. ZACHARY JAMES & THE ALL SEEING EYES. PARALYZER from SEATTLE. CHRISTIAN MISTRESS, OWL, WILT, DEMON LUNG, ILL INTENT, THEORIES, HE WHO OX IS GORED, Lb. (POUND), BLACK WIZARD from Vancouver, ELKS BLOOD, EXCESS EXPRESS, DIRTY FENCES, LECHEROUS GAZE, HAZZARDS CURE, WILD EYES, KISSING SHADOWS, RNB. NOMADS, SWAMP HEAVY, LORD DYING, CONOR KILEY'S BAD BLOOD, BASMENT SESSIONS, BLACK WTICH PUDDING, CHAMPAGNE CHAMPAGNE, MURMURS. All the brothers and sisters are killin' it! I feel like I'm surrounded by rad bands and sick musicians! LOVE YA ALL!!!


Q16 – In 5 words or less, describe the live Wounded Giant experience.

B: Shirts Off PARTY!

D: Darn Tootin'!

Q17 – What is your verdict on the Crowd-Funding Scene that bands and musicians are currently doing asking fans to fund their latest release. Are you a fan and would you consider doing that yourselves.

B: We're total Neanderthals when it comes to the internet, and don't really know much about all the new ways of self-promotion. Not really sure yet. I guess any time good people go out of their way to actually pay starving musicians for the tunes that improve their life is a good thing...

Q18 – What is your musical equipment setup to get that heavy down-tuned sound? As it has quite a loud kick to it.

B: I wish I could say I was a gear head, but it's really just a road worn Marshall with some beat up cabinets that have been in the dirt a lot. I need new gear, haha. The loud kick? That would be our most righteous rhythm section!


Q19 - If you could give advice to someone wanting to start a band. What advice would you give them?

D: In the words of Michael De Vera,"Aint Nohin To It But To Do It!"

B: Be courteous, be on time, don't complain about stupid shit, only play with people you can spend time in a van with, and be nice to the sound guy. Most of all stay hungry.

Q20 – Finally guys, Thanks for talking to us. Good luck with the album in 2014. Do you want anything to say to your fans here at Sludgelord.

D: Thank you to all our friends, family, and our Ladies for supporting this mess!!! We love you all!!! Stay tuned

B: Of course, Duders! Thanks for digging the riffs.

Have fun storming the castle!

Thanks to Bobby James and Dylan for taking the time out to talk to us here at Sludgelord HQ.

This is a brilliant album. We recommend you buy this now as it's simply incredible. You can buy the album on Bandcamp on Digital Download and Vinyl from here

Check The Band From Links Below

Facebook
Bandcamp

Written by Steve Howe