Monday 19 May 2014

L.M.I. - Sleepwalker - Album Review

Sleepwalker cover art

Album Type: Album
Date Released: May 20th 2014
Label: No Less Records

Sleepwalker - track listing:

1.Rats Nest 01:04
2.Gutter King 03:12
3.Sleeping Machines 03:52
4.Rag Doll 03:50
5.In The Blue 05:06
6.Waiting On Melted Wax 02:54
7.Endless Circles 02:54
8.Destitute 04:37
9.The Web 01:55
10.Take And Continue 02:56

The Band Members

Will Hinkle- Vocals, Guitar
Brando Racik- Bass
Kevin Marcinek- Drums

Review:

L.M.I. are a Stoner/Punk/Hardcore Band dealing in fast-paced riffs that packs an almighty punch. Their debut album – Sleepwalker is mish-mash of ideas and noises that will take a few listens to fully experience. As the band have a style that is very hard to describe. When I first listened to the album I couldn't get to grips with the overall sound and style of the album. But soon after I started to really enjoy this album in a big way.

My advice – Just sit back and enjoy the ride as these Stoner Metallers have a lot to say and do it with style. The first two tracks – Rats Nest and Gutter King – setup the scene superbly well. Blazing guitars matched with the pissed off vocals of front man – Will. He oozes confidence from the start as his vocals have a grizzled hardcore punk edge that makes this album very dangerous indeed.

By the time 4th track – Rag Doll – comes blasting onto your speaks you're either going to love this band with open arms or run to the hills. There is no in-between with L.M.I. Embrace the craziness as the band feel a bit schizophrenic at times but it works to the albums favour. Who says that music has to be so straight forward.

You may think that I don't like the album. I don't. I think it's great. I am just trying to explain it's a bit different compared to other Punk/Hardcore based Stoner Metal albums. I think this album is superb as it shows the band playing by their own rules and they don't give a fuck what anybody thinks.

The only complaint I have is with the track – In The Blue. A hazy psychedelic bluesy punk rock number that really doesn't go anywhere. It disrupts the flow of the album. But things soon get back to normal with the albums later tracks of rocking the hell out with more crazy riffs being played at an intense pace.

Now I should of said earlier of who produced this album as the album sounds superb through out. Philip Cope of Kylesa fame has produced this album. So it's good enough for Philip then it should be good enough for you to check these guys out. As L.M.I. are definitely worth checking out.

Sleepwalker is one very strange beast indeed. It will frustrate and entertain you in equal measure. If you want something different to check out then L.M.I. is the band for you.

An intense wild ride that you won't easily forget.

Excellent and Highly Recommended.

Thanks to Will for sending me a copy to review. Sleepwalker is available to buy from BandCamp now.

Check The Band From Links Below


Written by Steve Howe