Saturday 17 November 2012

Interview with Bloody Hammers


[Now I must apologize to fans and readers alike. I originally thought Bloody Hammers were a group collective when this album was recorded. So some of the questions are directed to Bloody Hammers as a group. Before I knew Anders did all the work himself.

Shitty research on my behalf which I can only apologize for. But am such a big fan of this great band. Am leaving the majority of the questions as they are.]

Today on Sludgelord I am interviewing Anders Manga - vocalist, bassist and genius behind - brilliant Occult/Hard Rock/Stoner Rock Band – Bloody Hammers

Bloody Hammers style of music is a demonic and demented joy to behold. Full of infectious grooves and riffs but altogether evil. Their S/T début album is highly thought of by ourselves and a few other webzines as well.

Bloody Hammers are going places. Their album will be on many best of 2012 lists. And it's not hard to see why. See why I rate this album very highly.

So lets get down to business.

Q1 – Hi Anders, Thanks for doing this. How are things with you Today.

Vocals/Bass Anders Manga: Good but bruised. I went for a physical today where they take your blood and run tests to see if you're in ok health. However, my veins are impossible to find. The nurses stuck me multiple times trying to find a vein, but no luck. I have to go back tomorrow so they can try again. I'd be an utter failure at being a heroin addict.

Q2 – For people not in the know can you give them a brief history of the band and how it came about.

Up until just recently it was all me. I played everything on the album and recorded it in my small home studio. After I finished it, I put it on bandcamp and within 24 hours Jorn from SoulSeller hit me up to see what I planned to do distribution-wise. It was really just something I did for fun and to get out a little aggression so I didn't plan much more. Anyway, I did a deal with SoulSeller so I figured I should get a band together. Things are coming together nicely and we should be able to play some gigs soon.

Q3 – How would you describe your sound.

Influenced by horror and classic hard rock. However, I did not purposely try to sound retro as far as recording technique and quality. It sounds pretty modern I guess, but it's simple SM57 against the grill of an orange amp type of sound. I'm a singer so melody is important.

Q4 – Which bands and artists influence you directly as musicians.

Well there are the 3 B's... Beatles, Black Sabbath and Bauhaus. I think if you threw these 3 bands in a blender you may have something that sounds like Bloody Hammers. I have my favorite artists such as Roky Erickson, Alice Cooper, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, David Bowie, Pentagram and on and on. There are really so many.


Q5 – Are you all full time musicians or do you have regular jobs to pay the bills.

I scrape by the best I can. I also do electronic music under my solo name, Anders Manga. I have released music for 15 years or so that people call gothic rock or darkwave. I do music work for movies and shows from very small horror movies to just last week being played on The Vampire Diaries, unbeknownst to me, a really popular show in America.

Q6 – Are your family and friends supportive of your music.

My folks died when I was in my teens and I'm a bit of a loner so I'm not sure. My distant family are pretty religious types so I doubt they'd like it much. Too much horror business for them I guess.

Q7 – What is the song-writing process in the band. Is it a group collective or is just down to one individual.

I wrote all the songs in a period between June-September 2012. All the songs came to me pretty quickly. First track was 'Last Legion of Sorrow' and they just rolled on after that.

Q8 – Your about to release your brilliant début album. It has already got some serious praise. Mainly by ourselves and other Stoner/Doom Websites. Have you been happy with the responses so far.

Well it's always nice when people enjoy your work. I just write songs that I like and it's a bonus if other people like them as well. If a song doesn't move me I can't expect anyone else to be moved by it can I?

Q9 – Was it an easy or hard album to write and record for.

Sometimes songs just come very easily and other times you have to work at them. The ones you have to work at are usually ass and you delete them. The ones that come natural, not forced, are always the best. None of the songs on this album were forced.

Q10 – Is there a scene for Sludge/Doom/Stoner bands to perform in your home town on a regular basis. Or do you have to travel further afield to perform on a regular basis.

I live in Charlotte, NC USA so there is a nice live music scene here. Hopefully soon we can go out and get in the action. We're close to Atlanta where there is also a nice scene. Pentagram started not far north of me in Virginia. Corrosion of Conformity is from here... it's pretty cool.

Q11 – Do you have any interesting and exciting stories from tour. Have you toured with anyone famous. If so who have been your fave band to perform for/with.

Sorry no touring or live gigs at all yet. We're only banging things out in the garage right now. We all have touring experience separately but not as a unit.

Q12 – What are your favourite bands around at the moment. Do you listen to modern day rock/metal or do you just listen to the classic era of Stoner/Sludge/Doom Metal.

I like everything really but right now I am listening to the new Black Country Communion and Graveyard albums which are both great. I'm counting the days until the new Black Sabbath album for sure.

Q13 – What are your views of blogs such as Sludgelord featuring and reviewing your records, as opposed to mainstream music magazines? Has your music reached the mainstream mags, at home or around the world?

It's very much appreciated. People like yourself are really keeping the scene moving and informed. I have done some other interviews and not so sure where they will end up.


Q14 – I love the album cover. Very simple but tells you what to expect. Also on the scary side. How did that cover came about.

My wife Devallia who is also the organist in Bloody Hammers took this picture a while back. I know I had to use it for something. It was just to awesome. The model is a friend of Devallia's from Atlanta.

Q15 – It's pretty cool your début album is being released on Vinyl. Bet your real pleased with that. Not many bands get that opportunity to do that for their first record.

Oh yes. Very pleased indeed. The only downside is that they are nearly sold out already. The pre-orders have nearly wiped them all out before release day. I don't know for sure if there will be a second pressing. I hope so and didn't think they would go so fast.

Q16 - What are your future plans for the upcoming 12 months or so. Anything we should be excited about.

I wish I knew. I plan to start recording again. I have a bunch of songs and enough for another album so I figure I'll get on that. If enough people like the album and want to see us perhaps we will tour a little.

Q17 – There are a lot of great Occult Based rock bands around at the moment. Seems to be a genre of music on the rise. Are you proud to be part of that scene. Any bands that stand out from that genre of music from yourselves. Mine would be Ancient Vvisdom and Ghost.

Oh sure both of those bands are essential. Also Blood Ceremony, Purson and Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats are all perfection. I guess these bands I mentioned might fit in the occult bucket with some force? I guess it's really just classic inspired rock. I think Bloody Hammers would fit in that bucket as well.

Q18 – What are the most and least rewarding aspects of participating with the band?

Well we're so new I don't really know yet. Maybe you can check back with me later and I'm sure I'll have some stuff for that question.


Q19 – Does it surprise you that people buy merchandise from you guys.

I definitely appreciate it. It's so essential these days to support bands that you like otherwise they can't afford to keep doing it. It's very expensive to make albums and market them so people know they exist. If I hear a band that I like I try to but a t-shirt, the album, something. It's so important.

Q20 - Finally, Do you have anything to say your fans

Yes... thanks for listening. I hope I have made something to make your day a little better.

Well guys thanks for doing this interview. All the best from ourselves at Sludgelord. We are all massive fans of your music. Cheers. Steve.

Check This Great Band Below

Official Blog
Facebook
BandCamp